Saturday, August 1, 2009

Exploring the Royal Mile's Closes

Took a walk down the Royal Mile this evening and brought my camera with me. There are so many closes - that's what they call the alleyways which branch off from the Mile - that I feel like I'm always discovering ones that I've never been down before. Some have restaurants, pubs and shops, while others are crumbling and graffiti covered. Either way, they're one of the reasons I love Edinburgh so much - this city has so many layers.


Wardrop's Court dragon.

David Hume statue on the Mile.


My section of the Mile, the Lawnmarket.



The Walter Scott Monument and a tour group.


Typical close.


Gift shop tartan scarves.


Former Bishop's lodgings - note the matching window grate pattern.


Tucked away church garden.




John Knox's house.


Calton cemetery silhouette.


Halfway House pub, tucked (appropriately) halfway down a close.


Scott Monument again, sans tour group.



Gladstone's Land, a restored 17th Century tenement.



My window looks out over this court - Dr Johnson and Boswell stayed here before heading out to the Hebrides.

No comments: