If you'll indulge my English Lit nerdiness for just awhile longer, I'll proudly tell you that I also now have a general reader's ticket for the National Library of Scotland. This means that I can go in and use their material (which is generally kept away in storage, and cannot be taken out of the building). The NLS is a copyright library, meaning that anytime a book is published in the British Isles, a copy must be sent to the NLS. So basically, they have everything - including a bunch of rare materials and manuscripts.
The Edinburgh Public Library is just across the street. I have a feeling I will be studying there a lot - the building is gorgeous, with a big domed main room, and those two-story bookshelves which have a balcony half-way up. Best of all, both of these libraries are just around the corner from my residence! The University library is another story - although they have a lot of online materials, their actual holdings seem rather disorganized - half are shelved using Dewey decimal, the other half using Library of Congress, and the online catalogue is not nearly as detailed as McGill's.
Turning back to topics you might actually care about, there is still lots to explore in and around Edinburgh. A bunch of us have signed up to take a day-trip next weekend to see some castles south of here, and a potential visit to Stirling this weekend is in the works. I am beginning to feel (or at least convincing myself that I am) more like a local, pushing past tourists on my way to campus and looking unfazed when the Castle's 1 o'clock cannon strikes. I'm getting much better at looking right, then left when crossing the street, although signs like this are still helpful:

I've had not one but two deep fried mars bars, and let me say that they are delicious. The combo of fried dough and chocolate almost reminds me of beaver tails back home. And in lieu of poutine, our new post-bar obsession is chips with curry sauce, as documented below (with fish and chips in the background):

We also found the sauce in a jar at Sainsbury's (a grocery store here) for 4p - that's about 8 cents! Compared to the 2 pounds 50 you pay at a chip shop, homemade curry fries may be a much cheaper option. I've also had steak pie (delicious), but despite my love of a good brunch, have still not had a traditional Scottish breakfast! Hopefully that will change soon.
Still on the (recurring, it seems) topic of food, we've also discovered a brilliant (hehe) farmer's market, located just on the other side of the castle from us:

It's mostly organic food from local farms, but surprisingly not too pricey, and all in the shadow of the castle! They have lots of different types of meat (venison and ostrich, for example), but the highlight so far has been the delicious, delicious cheese! I got some excellent mature cheddar two weekends ago, and some tasty brie this weekend. The fresh scones are also a good buy - future visitors will have to come along and check it out!
Tonight we're all going to a pub quiz, which should be fun, and then tomorrow I may meet up with second-cousin Natasha Olechowski who is in town for a visit. Then may watch a taped version of the Palin-Biden debates on Sunday at a Democrats Abroad event (last weekend we watched the Obama-McCain debate in the same cafe). Weird how close to North American and home technology can make me feel - especially the miracle that is Skype. Hope everyone is well, I'll try and post again soon.
1 comment:
Hey!
Well if the english lit stuff can be interesting to me, then it must be interesting to everyone.
It sounds like school is really good, and that food is even better. Is the canlit course taught by a canadian?
Are you celebrating Thanksgiving with the Canadian contingency?
I listened to the VP debate last night while I did my lab... get ready to hear "maverick" about a million times.
Miss you, especially this weekend with an Olechowski-side family reunion in Kingston
Post a Comment