Saturday, September 20, 2008

University life: a preview

After a busy week of welcome meetings and various orientation events, I finally have some time to show off - um, I mean, show you - what my day to day life at the university will be like.

Below is my residence, Mylne's Court, as seen from the inner courtyard:



About 180 postgrad students, mostly international, live in the three halls that make up Mylne's Court. My room doesn't actually face into this courtyard, but looks into the courtyard nextdoor. The view is just as pretty, and often more entertaining. For example:
These guys like to practice and choreograph their swordfighting. The other day they were using spears. I wonder if they work at some sort of historic locale, recreating battle scenes for tourists.

Speaking of tourists, they also wander through on a regular basis, usually led by tour guides:

Kind of funny to become a living breathing part of the tourist attraction that is the Royal Mile.

This is the view from the back of Mylne's Court, looking down towards Princes Street and the New Town:

Everything is so mossy and old - I love it!

Now let's get to the university proper. Below is the interior of McEwan Hall, venue for the International Welcome Day, and apparently where I will graduate should I stick around for convocation next fall. Don't hate me.



These pictures don't even do it justice - the interior was beautifully painted and very ornate, with a huge organ at the front.

While the English Department is not located in some grand old building (it's on the 6th floor of an modern tower - disappointing, considering the fact that our English Department is the oldest in the world), it does have some excellent views. This is looking towards the Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat, part of Holyrood Park:




If you look carefully in the background of the second photo, you can see the Firth of Forth!

Much more rubbing in to come - miss everyone lots!

3 comments:

Mummy said...

We DO hate you. Your photos are beautiful!
Debbie wants to know if you have seen her boyfriend Gerrard Butler? He was at the Toronto Film Festival but he didn't call!

No wait - maybe he's in Glasgow. Could you find that out please?
Love you,
Mum, your crazy "auntie" Debbie, and your sweet sister Lilah

Unknown said...

My dear Caroline,

The Scots are everywhere. I was at Safari Run, a local kids' party place, with your sister on Saturday, and when the mother of the birthday girl (whose name happens to be Lila) heard that I had a daughter in Edinburgh, immediately introduced me to one of the other moms, who hails from Glasgow. Lots of excited chatter in her thick brogue and lots of funny comparisons between Glasgow "where the people are friendly" and Edinburgh "where they aren't"!
Her maiden name is Stuart! So of course I asked if she was royal and she announced that her mom always says that they are descended of the Gypsy Stuarts, not the Royal ones. Her married name is Higgins-Stuart. She said she hyphenated her name just on the off chance that she really is a blue blood.
Anyway, Jackie had a ball, running amok on the play structures, and by the time everyone went upstairs for pizza and birthday cake, she had had enough of the kindergarteners boisterousness and wanted some downtime. Her father's daughter!
I'm in Portland Oregon tonight - here for a wind energy workshop for two days. It's a beautiful and picturesque city, at the conjuncture of the Columbia and Willamette Rivers.
I had a fun chat with Allie this evening, and earlier I got Lilah a pair of riding breeches, so it's nice to have all 3 of you on my mind.

Love you,
Dad xo

LaDitsterNo1 said...

Hi! I'm thinking of applying to Mylne's court. What were the rooms like?